The time has come, spring has sprung, and you can’t wait to spend some time outside. Spring is the perfect time to refresh your outdoor space and get it ready for the summer months ahead. Here are a few tips to keeping your outdoor space looking and working its best:
1. Empty your gutters: After a long fall and winter your gutters may be full of debris such as, leaves, branches and seeds. This can lead to clogged downspouts and result in water overflowing out of the eaves and pooling around your foundation. If you know anything about foundations, the number one rule is keep water away!
2. Trim trees and shrubs: Shrubs, trees and perennials may have a mind of their own when growing. Pruning your plants can help them stay healthy, clean up their appearance and result in a much fuller plant.
3. Weeding: Although this is one of the more time-consuming tasks, it leaves your yard looking A+. You can hire a lawn service to come and spray for weeds or do it yourself. If you are looking for a more organic alternative, vinegar and water has been shown to work just as well! Unfortunately, in garden beds and planters you may have to get a little dirtier and get on your hands and knees. Make sure to remove weeds from the roots to prevent more weeds from returning in the future. PRO TIP: if you are tired of pulling weeds in your garden beds, a thick layer of mulch over your soil should prevent weeds from returning in the future.
4. Lawn Care: Rake up old dead grass and any leftover debris from the fall to ensure your lawn thrives.
5. Re-seed your lawn: Winter months here in Winnipeg can be harsh on your lawn. Sprinkle some seeds and topsoil over any dead spots to bring life back to your lawn, but always remember to water!
6. Wash your exterior surfaces: Using a pressure washer, wash the exterior of your home, garage, deck and patio to remove any dirt mildew or stains. Make sure when using your pressure washer to keep the nozzle at a good distance from the surface as it can remove the paint or stain from your home or deck.
7. Wash your windows: Clean windows makes your home look great from both the inside and out.
8. Plant flowers: You can plant flowers to add a pop of colour to your yard by adding them to your garden beds and planters. Hanging baskets are always nice as well!
9. Paint/stain: Make sure to touch up any areas on your home that may be prone to rot. Any exposed wood can be susceptible to weather, therefore adding a coat of paint can help seal it up. A fresh coast of stain can help an aging deck or fence look new again.
10. Add some light and decor: Who doesn’t love a good mood lighting. Lighting can create a relaxing ambiance for you to sit back and relax after a long day. If you don’t have the wiring necessary to plug in lights, you’re in luck, there are now tons of great solar options as well.
One very important thing to note is that safety is the number one priority when doing any spring cleaning or maintenance. For instance, if you have a two storey with a lot of windows, perhaps consider hiring a professional. A lot of these tasks can also be quite time consuming, there are professionals all over the city that can help you get the results you want.
Whether you are doing it yourself or hiring a professional, maintaining the exterior of your home and your yard will create a beautiful space that both you and your neighbours will enjoy!
Phone: (204) 781-1767