Tuxedo is arguably the most affluent neighbourhood in Winnipeg and is known for its stately Georgian mansions along Park Boulevard and Wellington Crescent. It is located approximately 7 kilometers Southwest from Winnipeg's downtown core and 7 kilometres from the airport. The Assiniboine River borders to the north, on the west Assiniboine Park and forest, On the east Kenaston Boulevard, and on the South, Sterling Lyon Parkway. Homes for sale in Tuxedo Winnipeg do not tend to last long. Some break the area into Tuxedo and South Tuxedo, but in general the entire area is known as Tuxedo. This area was originally formed during Winnipeg's boom years between 1900-1914 and was called "Tuxedo Park". Development was further enhanced by the construction of the Broadway streetcar route in the 1920's (now known as Academy Road), as well as its close proximity to Assiniboine Park. Until 1972 it was a separate municipality. It then joined Winnipeg and 11 other suburbs in the Unicity Scheme. Home ownership in Tuxedo is very high, with 97% of the residences being owner occupied, leaving only 3% rented. Average household income is also very high for Winnipeg with an average annual household income nearing close to $350,000 per annum.
Real Estate in this area is among Winnipeg's most expensive. Some small houses have sold for around $250,000 recently but were purchased with the intention of tearing the house down to build something more substantial on the lot. In general, a single family home starts in the mid $400,000's and prices go up to and over $2 million (in general). There are some homes listed within this area as high as $10 million. The homes in this area are substantial - large estates, mansions, etc. many backing onto the river or green space. The age of the homes within the area is widely spread with many being built in the early 1900's. On the opposite end of the spectrum, a great deal of new construction continues in the area with more modern/contemporary homes. All of the homes found within the area would have been custom-built at the time of construction. There are a variety of condominium options within the area ranging from apartment-style layouts, walk-ups, and also attached-style bungalows or townhomes. There is a wide spread on condominium pricing and ranges are anywhere from $140,000 up to $900,000 for a substantial new-construction penthouse unit. Homes for sale in Tuxedo Winnipeg do tend to sell relatively fast and for a premium. Looking for homes for sale in Tuxedo Winnipeg? Reach out! We can help!
Tuxedo is operated by the Pembina Trails School Division. There are three public schools in the area. Two elementary schools: École Tuxedo, which offers French Immersion and Laidlaw School. Shaftesbury High School is the only high school in the area. Tuxedo also houses the Canadian Mennonite University located on Shaftesbury Boulevard.
Tuxedo is in a great location if you are wanting to attend one of Winnipeg’s esteemed universities. The University of Winnipeg is approximately 6 kilometers from the heart of Tuxedo and The University of Manitoba is less than 12 kilometres away
Tuxedo houses one of Winnipeg's largest and newest shopping centres, the Seasons of Tuxedo. This centre features outlet options such as the Outlet Collection at Seasons of Tuxedo, Ikea, Cabela's, and many other noteworthy anchor stores. Tuxedo also houses many small independent and unique boutique-style shops. Just beyond the borders of Tuxedo you will find Polo Park Mall. This large shopping mall has something for everyone, with over 220 stores, some of the more popular include: The Bay, Canada's largest Forever 21, H&M, The Gap/Gap Kids, Sport Chek, and the Apple Store.
One of the city’s crown jewels, Assiniboine Park and Zoo is a prime gathering space. Many large events are hosted here, including the annual Teddy Bear’s Picnic. The park’s amenities include two restaurants, children’s nature playground, multiple trails, fields, English and Leo Mol sculpture gardens, picnic shelters, fire pits, pavilions with art galleries, and an outdoor stage.
Tuxedo Community Club is located at 368 Southport Boulevard. It offers a wide variety of events. Some worth noting include options in: hockey, baseball, soccer, kids yoga, lawn bowling, basketball and much more.
Looking for something to do for date night? Rumors Comedy Club is located 162-2025 Corydon Avenue and is a great source of entertainment!
Tuxedo Tennis Club is a public facility which six screened-in courts (four with lights) perfect for tennis fiends looking to perfect their game.
Tuxedo Golf and Teaching Center is located in the Assiniboine Forest, 400 Shaftesbury Boulevard. It has 18 holes of golf plus an 18-hole miniature golf course, and a driving range.
The Winnipeg Jewish Theatre stages offers works by prominent Jewish playwrights and performers.